Two or Three (.net)

For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them. - Jesus

3.09.2005

Aslan is coming (and I am excited)!

by Unknown [+/-] show/hide

If the name of my personal blog - The Wardrobe Door - was not evidence enough, you should know I am a huge C.S. Lewis fan. Two of my favorite books of all time are Mere Christianity and Screwtape Letters.

I loved several of his lesser known books such as Til We Have Faces, The Great Divorce and his space trilogy (Out of the Silent Planet, Perelandra and That Hideous Strength).

But I would have never really found out about Lewis, his conversion and his faith, if it were not for his beloved children's novels - The Chronicles of Narnia. I remember reading The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe (and to some extent The Last Battle) as a child and thinking, "Aslan sounds like Jesus." At the time, I was unaware of C.S. Lewis and his faith.

As a young child I seemed to be attracted to novels by Christians without knowing of their faith. I also loved A Wrinkle in Time and Madeleine L'Engle books. I only found out in college that she was a Christian. Ironically enough, this November, Disney will release on DVD an adaptation of L'Engle's classic. (As much as I admire both Lewis and L'Engle, it should be stated that I differ from them on many areas theologically, but I am still able to find their work encouraging, entertaining and useful.)

Most people know that Disney has bought the rights to the Narnia books and is in post-production on The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe, with the movie to be released this December. Many, myself included, have been worried that Disney would strip Narnia of all of its Christian imagery and substance, leaving the stories empty and shallow.

The Telegraph has some encouraging news on that front. It seems Disney wants to make Wardrobe a "Passion of the Christ for children." They recognized the impact Christians had on the box office take of the Passion, so they are showing clips of the movie to evangelical leaders and working closely with many Christians to ensure the elements of the faith are present in the movie version.

For those of you, like myself, who are anxiously awaiting the release - here are some links to tide you over until the movie trailer comes out. This site has links to two short promo pieces on Weta (the Oscar winning design studio who worked on The Lord of the Rings) and their work on Wardrobe and one on the director (who also directed Shrek). Also, here is a link to the official site, with lots of information on the books, the movie and all things Narnia.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment