Two or Three (.net)

For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them. - Jesus

3.10.2005

Avoiding the News

by Tom Parsons [+/-] show/hide

Joe Carter at Evangelical Outpost has a great post today entitled "The Daily Show: How the News Cycle Makes Us Dumb".

Like Joe, I don't watch the news on television (not having cable or satellite helps). I don't listen to the news much on the radio unless I'm out driving somewhere and happening to be listening to talk radio instead of whatever CD I have in my CD player. I don't read the newspapers either.

The fact is that most of what passes for "news" these days is really unimportant stuff. The important things are what goes unreported most of the time. Often it's not until some time has passed that we truly understand whether an event was really as important as the "news" made it out to be.

As Christians, we should be looking at events from an eternal perspective rather than getting bogged down in the minutiae of daily life. Avoiding the news is one way to accomplish that goal.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment