Two or Three (.net)

For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them. - Jesus

4.07.2005

Rethinking Prayer

by Tom Parsons [+/-] show/hide

I'll admit it - my prayer life stinks. By that I mean that I don't think I really pray the way God would want me to pray. Reading this essay by Rob Asghar only confirms that feeling. In fact, Mark Daniels' essay on prayer (which led me to Rob's post) offers some further direction on how we should really be praying.

Thanks to Rob and Mark's essays I'm going to be rethinking prayer and how I pray.

2 Comments:

  • You talk, God listens. Can you imagine ever talking and God ignoring you because it's in an improper format? Come on! Talk with your heart and God will hear you. Praying incorrectly, is at least praying, and I think God does realize you mean well.
    One thing I've found, that helps, is not asking for what you want. Ask for what you need. For example, having a test coming up. Dear God, I ask that you give me the strength needed to complete this test(interview, meeting, speech) and all tests(figurative, tests of life) to the best of my abilities. I have worked towards this goal(showing your not just leaching off God) and ask only for your help in completing these goals. Amen
    I've never heard anyone say this, but this is my private prayer.
    Irregardless, I'm glad you are exploring this. It shows that you are religious in nature and wish to please God.

    By Blogger SeniorGato, at 4/07/2005 5:58 PM  

  • Seniorgato, I don't think Daddypundit thinks that God doesn't hear him, just that he isn't praying as He should be. The disciples asked Jesus to teach them how to pray, Jesus didn't tell that that was a silly question to ask, He sought to teach them how to pray through the Lord's Prayer.

    And I think the basic prayer that you outlined here is a good prayer for students along James 1:5 (asking God for wisdom). I graduated from a Christian college and our professors used to pray basically that prayer for us before the test.

    Glad you could stop by, I hope you come again.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 4/08/2005 5:52 AM  

Post a Comment